Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I <3 CrossFit



I adore CrossFit. I've had the most amazing fitness gains since I started it back in January.

Some highlights of last week:

1. Ran a 5k on Saturday. Last time I attempted the 5k back on Feb. 1st, and my time was something completely ridiculous, like 48 minutes. Saturday time was 33:44. I was totally amazed by the improvement in such a short time, especially since I've only been doing CrossFit and not any running regimen, except for what is included in my workouts and warm-ups, and those are barely ever more than 400m at a time. Also, when I started Crossfit, I could hardly run 400m without walking. In the 5k, I got to about 3k before I walked at all.

2. Deadlift - achieving new Personal Records (PRs). My max for the last round of 1-rep deadlifts I did was 165 lbs. I tried to lift 175 lbs that day, and couldn't get the weight to budge. Last Thursday the workout came up again, and my max was 180 lbs, an increase of 15 lbs in just a couple of weeks.

3. Double-Unders - I'm finally coordinated enough to do them! When I started CrossFit, I couldn't even do the basic bounce well, and now I can knock those out like a champ and am moving on to developing sets of double-unders.

4. Air Squats and Situps - most of the time when these are in the workout, in any quantity (4 rounds of 50 for example), I'm not really even sore the next day.

CrossFit works. It's fun, it's functional, it changes your whole outlook on fitness. Yeah...I drank the Kool-Aid!

No comments: